Saturday, January 22, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese with a Secret Silken Tofu Sauce

At the request of a Facebook buddy- I am posting this recipe here. I am cooking up a storm as usual but just not sharing as I should! I found this recipe in a new cookbook I got for Christmas- The Vegetarian Family Cookbook. One of my goals for the new year was to find new vegetarian meals for our family to decrease how much meat we consume.

Sarah, my 3 year old, is infatuated with Macaroni and Cheese. If you ask what she wants for a meal- the answer is Mac and Cheese. So when I saw this recipe I was eager to give it a try and find a way to give Mac and Cheese some tasty extra nutrients. As opposed to the sodium infused Kraft stuff she knows and loves. It was a big hit! Sarah told me "mommy I like this dinner!"


Macaroni and Cheese with a Secret Silken Tofu Sauce
10 to 12 ounces elbow macaroni (or other short pasta shape such as cavatappi)
1 (12.3-ounce) package silken tofu
2 tablespoons nonhydrogenated margarine
1 1/2 cups firmly packed organic grated cheddar cheese
Salt to taste

Cook the macaroni in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain. Meanwhile, puree the tofu until perfectly smooth in a food processor or blender. Transfer to a medium sauce pan and add the margarine and cheese. Slowly bring to a gentle simmer, stirring often, then cook over low heat until the cheese is thoroughly melted. Combine the cooked macaroni and sauce in a serving container and stir together. Season with salt to taste and serve at once.
Makes 6 to 8 kid-sized servings.

Variation: Bake in a casserole dish at 400°F (205°C) for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and crusty.

I baked mine with some bread crumbs and additional cheese on top to make it extra tasty on top :) I think I may add some additional seasonings next time, perhaps some grated onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment